View Single Post
Old 04-27-14, 07:00 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I'll be jovial enough to give everyone their weekend laugh...
Tour of Page County, my first full road race (I got pulled from my last one in freezing rain). Anyhow 46 miles, laps of just over 11 miles each. As before my main goals were to finish, not come in last and to make the cutoff for the next day's TT and Crit. I started out with main group trying my hand at slipping back as I needed to, stayed with the main herd for almost the first lap before falling back into another group of about 15 which then eventually eroded to 3 (up ahead so at least I was in front of some). We rode together for about 13 miles and then they started to fade so I kept on going on my own for the rest of the race, little lonely but felt good never caught anyone.

i turn the corner for the last lap guy rings the bell, 11 miles to go, I do the lap and on that last corner the official waves me straight through what had been the neutral roll out from the start of the high school parking lot. I'm done, I feel great, thank the guy and the volunteers for all their work as I go past, cruise into the parking lot warm down, change, wash up, talk to the promoter. I know I'm at least 12 minutes behind the winner and main group but what the hell, I rode as hard as I could and fared well on time for me (2:21:46 with 3500 ft of climbing, 19.5 mph avg).

I get in my car and take a left out of the lot to drive home and go to work when out of the corner of my eye I spot a sign that says 200 meters to go, then I see the time clock to the right and my heart drops out of my arse, when I realize that I should have ridden right past the parking lot into the final 200 meters! At first I was so incredulous I didn't know what to do then burst out laughing at my stupidity.

when I got to work I emailed the promoter and head official, sent them my strava file that showed I completed the first stage and begged my case, not like I was looking for a podium but just really wanted to be allowed to finish the race if my time was good enough to make the cut off.

low and behold, last night at 9pm I get the email with this morning's TT line up, they put me in last but they were gracious enough to put me in at least! Did my first ever TT this morning, legs felt a bit like two articulating anvils but I pushed through and didn't get caught. Now this afternoon is criterium time. Not sure what, if anything will show in results, or what time they have me for the first stage but right now not sure that I care.

hope you enjoyed this rookie's mistake, it'll only happen once!