Old 04-28-14, 02:40 PM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I've had the 40mm version (60 tpi) on my cross/gravel bike for a year. I find them awesome for "straight-on" riding...they float over bumps and larger gravel, but like mentioned in other reviews--given the almost triangular profile--they are a challenge on washed out or loose gravel while cornering. I actually used these yesterday in a race up here in Canada called Paris 2 Ancaster, and they were great, other than the two times I cornered fast and found my tries sliding on loose gravel (hard pack, not a problem). Both times I felt very nervous but instinct took over and I stayed upright.

What I would worry about with the 32 version is even less tire being in contact with the surface. I feel that yesterday had I been using these I would've had issues cornering. The stock tires I have on another bike are 32mm and they have a very flat profile, and these cheap tires do a great job in corners (better than the 40mm MSO). This is the one item I would be reluctant about with the 32mm X'Plor MSO.
The 32mm version has a more circular cross-section than the 40mm size. I know exactly what you mean about the 'peak' on the 40mm version. Cornering is much more predictable with the 32mm MSO.