Old 04-29-14, 08:14 PM
Bad1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DubT
The installation instructions with my DA 7803 FD (for a triple) indicate that in the the middle ring you may have chain rub on the derailleur in the smallest cassette gears, they say to shift to a bigger gear. I do not think the system is designed to allow you to utilize all 20 gears in a 2 X 10 installation. In most cases you will have duplicate ratios between the two chainrings. On our Calfee that I have modified to us a 130mm rear wheel I can use all ten speeds on the rear cassette without any chain rub in the middle 39 t ring of the Ultegra cranks. I can use 9 of the gears when I am in the 52.

it looks like a whole lot of time energy and money has been spent to experiment with a system that is plagued with issues. I talked to Michael at Calffe a few weeks ago about drive trains and in the conversation he stated that they have for the most part gone back to crossover drive, even on electronic shifting units. Too many non standard items and hard to provide proper OEM support for.
In your usage of the 7803 triple crankset the axle is the proper length To achieve proper chain line by adding shims you can move the chain line in or out to achieve the proper line,with the set up two cycles has decided to use you cannot add spacers and move in or out to achieve a proper chain line.When I was in the process of deciding what components to use I ended up going with lightning crankset's and talking to Dan the owner of lightning dynamics about doing a same sides Drive system he said they could provide the crankset in that configuration but stated Calfee was having problems with that design, I contacted Mike Moore at that point at Calfee He stated they were done trying to make that design work and advised against it. I'm using DI2 52-36, & 11-32 cassette all 22 gears are usable with no front derailleur cage chain rub.

Last edited by Bad1; 04-29-14 at 08:35 PM.