Old 05-04-14, 05:12 AM
speedndistance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, New to Bike Forums and Commuting. Any advice on what makes a good commuter bike?

Thanks in advance for looking!

I am 20, 5'2", and I will be commuting 30 miles daily at my max (all flat terrain). Lots of my friends call me crazy, but I remind them that people have paddled around the world, run across the country, and landed on the moon... this is just another small step for me.

Currently deciding between purchasing three bikes (Are touring bikes a subset of road bikes?), hopefully this is the appropriate forum for this...it seems to be scattered everywhere.

Miyata - Miyata 52" road bike
GT Series 4 - *** MINT GT GTR W 4 SERIES ROAD BIKE 44CM SMALL MAVIC WOMENS ***
Cannondale - Cannondale road bike

Besides, a basket, and water pack what other equipment/knowledge will I need for a daily 30 mile commute? Which bike is best suited for these needs?

------------------------------------

Community,
I wanted to thank all of you for your comments and expert advice. I successfully competed my 30 MILES RT without breaking a sweat or getting bullied into the gutter.

My back is killer right now, since the cheap backpack I strapped on was flopping all over the place. So that is next on my list, it may also be my never being on a road bike before.

Going on another 30 today. Happy riding!

Last edited by speedndistance; 05-07-14 at 10:23 AM. Reason: UPDATE!