Old 05-04-14, 09:41 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Okay, so here's what R0ckh0und sent me:

Here's the tail light I made. It's a 3/4" copper pipe cap with a red LED and lens in it.

The headlight is the same thing, but a white LED and a different lens:

Each LED has + and - solder points. I attach a wire to each. I ground the other end of the + wire of one light, and the - wire from the other, to the frame; and connect the other wires to the dynamo. The result is extremely simple LED lights that flash alternately. And cheap; like $12 in parts.

The complete bike:

Unicanitor-ish plastic saddle and 1960 Sturmey Archer AW hub from a dumpster bike, laced to an old Raleigh rim (but I had to buy the spokes). Front wheel, SR Laprade seat post, crappy steel pedals and swaged Sugino crank from another dumpster bike. Nitto technomic? stem from another dumpster bike. Dia-Compe side pull brakes and Shimano levers from, yes, yet another dumpster bike or two.

The chain is not from a dumpster bike. It's from a garage door opening mechanism ... as ... wait for it... found in the dumpster.
Glad to see the old girl has found some love Rudi............

The Giant Quasar I used for my project is complete.................I rode it into town a few weeks ago and bowled a few games. On the way there I found an old storm door in the trash that I have since sold for $35. I had to return with my van to get it home. I have a total of $65.87 into the Giant.

Initial purchase......................................................................$39.99
2 Gumwall knobbies from the Community Thrift..........................$0.88
Bontrager Saddle from a winter swap........................................$5
Pedals, cages and straps from a swap.......................................$5
Alloy seatpost from parts bin...................................................$5
Set of beat up drillium Sugino chainrings from parts bin..............$10

After putting a whopping 4 miles on the Giant a few weeks ago I put $150 price tag on it and left it at the family thrift store..............no takers yet. I still have 18 days and 58 miles to go.