Old 05-05-14, 10:31 PM
halcyon100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rarely ever get honked at. Once in awhile at a stoplight, I'll be behind a car that doesn't realize the light turned green. Then, the car behind me will honk, which is fine with me as I have no ability to "honk" on my bike. Sometimes my husband will honk to say hello if he passes me while driving home and I'll wave hello. I have had a few people I know say they passed me on my bike or waved or said hello out the window and I had no awareness of it... I guess I was too focused on the road ahead.

if I hear random honking that I don't think it directed toward me, sometimes I turn to see what is going on and sometimes not. I will turn around to look at drivers when they are tailgating me, usually because they are afraid to pass me on a road without a bike lane. Or they have some kind of passive-aggressive issue...

I hate it when cars trail right behind me without passing. It is amazing how many people have problems with this. I have a few elderly relatives and one mentally ill family member who have all expressed abject fear about driving near cyclists. It is because they have never been on a bike near cars, ever. They have no idea about the passing distance you need. I offered to cycle next to them on some wide country roads and help them learn to do this, but they all said "no, we don't want to kill you...".