Old 05-06-14, 11:26 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Read my prior post. It's important stuff to understand to be able to get the most out of the unit.

If you are using a calculated route ("Turn guidance on"), you will get turn annoucements at 0.1 mile to 500 feet before the turn. You need to use a "good quality" track route for the calculated routing to work well (and make sure "recalculate" is off).

You will also see a big white arrow on the map on the turn well-before you get to the turn.
I have only ever used ride with gps generated TCX files -- dunno if that is high enough quality. I've seen the white arrows. I guess I need to sit down with the unit and play with the settings some more. The more I use it, the more comfortable I am with it. I have to say that it has never gotten me lost and it has tried to keep me from riding bonus miles -- which I ignored. It does say that I'm off course a little more than I would like. The course we are talking about has a lot of hills and trees, so that probably contributes somewhat to the spurious off course messages. They don't usually come at a point where they matter. The big problems I had were all involving keeping it charged. I have some nice little liion batteries now that do a great job of keeping it charged

I will always carry a cue sheet. I wasn't using it on the fleche, which caused a little friction with other team members who were when one of my calculations was off due to an excel error on my part.