View Single Post
Old 05-06-14, 03:31 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
I'd really emphasize test riding the LHT if you are going to go that route. I have 5 bikes all 58 cm frames, including a LHT. The LHT has a really long top tube, which is a stretch if you have a short torso like I do. I think a 56 would have fit me better. I realize this now, even though I test rode a 58 before I ordered a bare frame. On the plus side of the LHT, the steering tube comes uncut. It is easier to fine tune bar height. That was one of the reasons that I did not go with a 520;when my seat was at the right height, the bars were too low for me.

I am lucky enough to have several great LBSs in the area. I have been able to test ride the 520, LHT, and Cannondales when they were made.

I have not taken the opportunity to test ride a Randonee, but I look at the them pretty hard when I visit our local REI, which is often. IMO it is equal to the LHT,and I would not be surprised if they were not made in the same plant. The forks are identical as far as I can tell. It is the only stock touring bike that even comes close to having low enough gearing for loaded touring. However, it suffers from the same malady as the 520--the steering tubes come precut.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-06-14 at 04:40 PM.