Old 05-06-14, 06:35 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Identify double-paceline group on SGRT (Mon)

I went for a ride on Cinco de Mayo, when I got to the SGRT a strange thing happened and here are
some details:

date: May 5, 2014
time: 11am
city: Seal Beach, border of LB
College Park Dr bridge, near Edison Park
my bike: Immortal_Force with Ultegra
weather: low 70's
itinerary: 46 miles (solo) total, down to Bushard and Brookhurst (Medusa Salon) and back.

After coming south on Studebaker, I cut into Anaheim St. and approached the SGRT. The gate at
College Park was closed, so you have to use the narrow Rt/angle entrance. Lucky for me, I exercised caution, stopped, unclipped and looked up and back on the trail before entering.

Sure enough, the caution paid off since at that moment a large, fast, double paceline descended under the CP bridge, coming my way. I recognized nobody, not even from the motley collection of lycra outfits. It was no cycling club known to me. They were all men, mostly tall and fit, with plenty of audible cues shouted among the group. They reminded me of Lightning Velo, except there was no such kit among the group.

Any idea which ride or club they could be? The doubling up seemed unwise to me as the whole SGRT path was blocked.

It seems more wise for a group like this to use PCH-Loynes-Studebaker, rather than rampaging up the SGRT.