View Single Post
Old 05-08-14, 10:10 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
You prefer your ride solo, grant the other person the same courtesy. But most people forget about courtesy on the bike.

Why not follow closely? On the streets, a person might have to change their line to avoid potholes, debris, etc - they don't want a stranger following closely. On a path or trail, tailgating is just bothersome, period. If you don't mind a stranger hanging on your wheel, I offer that you've not taken a fast, solo training ride where a stranger drafted or doggedly followed very closely.

When in your car tailgating is a ticket-able offense. The same rules should apply to all vehicles, regardless of the number of wheels.

If a rider passes me and I decide to pace them, I do so at 50 yards or more.
Never have had the feeling that someone was invading my space by drafting me so I can not relate to your angst, but should this ever happen in the future, I would simply slow down and let the offender pass and/or just give her/him a polite word about my discomfort.