Old 10-11-05, 11:29 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I do this mainly by riding in the center of the lane and looking at them (if possible) so they know that I know that they are there.
I've alluded to this communication skill, but you've hit it on the head: the importance of letting motorists know that you know they are there. Looking at them is an obvious way to do it, but there are other ways too, including issueing the slow/stop signal with the left arm, making other types of communication gestures, like standing up, or increasing cadence, or even just a lateral "don't even think about it" assertive/territorial move within the lane.

I'm adding this point to my notes - notes I'm collecting for my book! Thanks!

In wider lanes, I invite them to hold back a second or two until I find a safe way to make room for them to pass. Again I do this by riding to the left some, and often by holding them back with either a look or by holding my hand out. If there is no oncoming traffic, they will go into the next lane to pass me, just like they would for a slower car. Sometimes I even point at the reason I'm holding them up, which is usually either debris, bad pavement or a parked car to my right.

Sometimes the timid cager does not want to pass me, usually on a narrow street. If I want them to pass me quick because I see an obstruction ahead, I will actually wave them past me with my left hand. They often wave to thank me as they ride by. I think a lot of cagers around here don't know how to handle cyclists, so they are relieved when I tell them what to do.

Since the cager and I both want to avoid messy accidents and/or fistfights, we have little trouble coming to an accomodation. This probably takes a half second or less to arrange, and it almost always goes smoothly for both of us.

Usually if I get buzzed it's my own damn fault because I fail to communicate clearly and/or I'm riding sloppy. Usually I end up yelling at them anyway, but that isn't very fair if me! A couple times I have been buzzed maliciously. One time was kind of funny. I was held up at a train crossing for more than 20 minutes. After the train passed, I rode ahead in the narrow lane. The car behind me couldn't pass because of all the traffic bottled up by the train. He started honking and yelling "Sidewalk!" I thought it was hilarious that a train held him up for 20 minutes and he got mad at me for holding him up 5 more seconds!
Damn. Maybe you should be the one writing the book. This is good stuff, Roody. Very good.