View Single Post
Old 05-17-14, 11:35 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 890 Posts
Another busy Saturday, yard work and errands, didn't get on the bike until almost 5. Rode the GT Karakoram with its 55mm balloon tires down to Harvard Square on Mass. Ave., and followed the Charles River path out to Watertown Square on Greenough Blvd. and Charles River Road, then crossed the river and returned on the path along Nonantum Road and Soldiers Field Road, recrossing at the Lars Anderson Bridge and back to Brattle Square, where an electric blues guitarist and a Gypsy accordion player were holding forth, and home by a leafier route, Brattle Street, Aberdeen Street, Huron Ave., etc., passing Mount Auburn Cemetery, Fresh Pond, Little Pond, and Spy Pond along the way. At one point, my path was strewn with cherry blossoms...

For whatever reason, I haven't been riding into town since getting back on the bicycle in earnest five years ago, even though I know there are some great rides there; today's ride was really a bid for a little novelty in a shorter route, since time was scarce; it was also an opportunity to exercise the newly-mounted balloon tires on some varied terrain (got that). But once begun, I was startled to realize that it's been something like 40 years since I last rode the Charles paths, on my old Raleigh (then my new Raleigh); seems like just last week, of course... The paths have changed a bit in my absence, for the better. Sometimes, the bicycle is a time machine: most often transporting us into the past of the places ridden through, in this case, rolling from my own past, circa 1974, to a beautiful Spring afternoon in 2014.

18 miles through Arlington, Cambridge, Watertown, Newton, Brighton, Allston, and Belmont.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-19-14 at 04:50 PM.