acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
The bike isn't a joke (which is to say that it's real), but this thread probably is.

I'm pretty sure that I saw this bike on Bike Snob's blog sometime in the last year; one of these "re-imaginings" of the bicycle by some art design major with zero engineering experience or education, who also has apparently never ridden a bike.

Twin top tubes I've seen, and even ridden, but twin down tubes, because the bike was maybe too light? Down tube clearance that's lower than the bottom bracket, for no discernible reason? A punishingly high standover height? A minimal amount of saddle height adjustment? No way to adjust or alter handlebar fit or stem length? Barely any room on said tiny handlebars for lights, mirrors, or bells, and no way to install racks or fenders?

I just can't see any practical use for this bike. Is there a niche for heavy, aero bikes, that you might or might not fit, depending on your body type? I know that some urban cyclists utilize narrow handlebars to fit through traffic, but anything narrower than your shoulders is just a fashion affection. The only thing this bike is made to do is turn heads, on account of it being so strange and unique, much like a lowrider car or monster truck. Unique, yes; practical, no.

The OP has only posted twice, solely in this thread. Without a video of the OP riding this bike, I'm calling hoax. And if this isn't a hoax, I seriously hope that the OP has a very short commute with secure parking for what I imagine is a pretty expensive, and definitely eye catching, bike. Lastly, you can't put a rack on it to carry loads, you can't put fenders on it to keep you dry, you can't adjust to the bike to fit your body, but you could at least put some grips on it to keep you from slipping when you ride in the wet, if you ride in the wet. And if you don't ride when it's wet, is it really a 'commuter'? Or is it just a pleasure ride that you take to work when the weather's nice?
To be fair, I have seen these bikes IRL when I was in Estonia over the summer.

Your rack hype is also overrated.