Old 05-19-14, 08:08 AM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Cargo Bicycle Gearing

So I put different, slightly longer cranks on my Yuba Mundo, but have not decided what gearing I want. The original chainrings were 22, 34, and 44 teeth (although I see that the current crank comes with 22, 32, and 42 tooth rings). I can't simply move the rings, because the bolt pattern is different. The seven speed freewheel is 13-28, although I see that the Yuba website now sells a 13-34 freewheel.

I frequently carry my youngest two children (about 30 and 40 lbs.), and it is not unusual for me to carry 50 lbs. or more of groceries at the same time (I buy 25 lb. bags of carrots), although I will sometimes ride the bicycle unloaded. At the moment, at least, I live in fairly flat Columbus OH. Before I switched cranks, I occasionally used my highest gear (around 89"), and rarely used the smallest chainring. The new cranks have a 24 tooth small ring (which is the smallest they fit), but I'm not sure what larger rings to use. Given that I don't plan to change the freewheel, what size chainrings do you recommend? What sorts of gearing have you used on cargo bicycles?