Old 05-19-14, 12:54 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Null66
I'll dead and squat if I can't get a ride in that week... But really trying to ride every week.

Having BP issues and a bit of allergic asthma to overcome. BP meds have eliminated heart rate training. Sometimes HR is in the 60's-80's and sometimes up to 140-ish, on the same ride at similar perceived effort and speed... Riding may be key to getting off BP meds. This has led to less cadence improvement and more torque, so legs are quite beat out.

Since Feb. is only 3 months! Lifting is a long game, measured in years. Are you still progressing? if not, then up the weights with same pattern, or otherwise increase intensity. Such as decrease time between sets, or between exercises, change bar speed, various supersets.

3x10 is a GREAT pattern particularly at first! It is a great way to allow your connective tissue (ligaments and tendons)to increase in strength and flexibility. Connective tissue is much slower responding, but usually starts out stronger then musculature. So it is easy for your muscles to start out weaker and rapidly get much stronger than connective tissues setting you up for injuries. Give it another 6-9 months, taking care to not increase weights greater then recommended percentages. The percentage increase change (lessen) as you get more time under the bar. If you feel you can progress faster then percentage weight increases, this is where the other intensifiers come in...

Lifting before cardio! AWESOME! Hats off to you!
Each time I start a lifting program I do sets of 12-15 reps and stay with it to give my connective things time to adjust. Just as you mentioned.

My body tends to enjoy heavy weights and low reps but I'm trying to counter that with more explosive movements and lighter weights. For me it burns more long-term calories and give me better fitness.