View Single Post
Old 05-21-14, 11:25 AM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2013 Trek 8.4 DS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I biked the GAP and C&O last year. It was a wonderful ride. The GAP is relatively smooth and well groomed. The C&O, is more... rustic. The park service would check the water quality and remove the pump handles if the water wasn't good. I only ran into one missing pump handle last year. The NPS did remove all the handles during the government shutdown, since they couldn't monitor the water quality. I did run into a few pumps that didn't work. So I would say to remain flexible, and carry more water than you need, and fill whenever you can. I also took water purification stuff (tablets) in case I had to go for other water sources. Bring some water flavoring to hide the iodine taste. I must have gone though a disturbing about of lemonaid powder and "red" flavoring.

The camping was good - but it's nothing fancy - just a chunk of ground, and an outhouse.

I actually liked the C&O part more, which I guess isn't common. I liked the locks and the history and the wilderness. I liked the camping. Took a side trip to Antietam and Harper's Ferry. Someone said 35 tires - I'd agree - those would be good. Fenders are also a really really good idea.

Here's my journal: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/bgraham2013