View Single Post
Old 05-21-14, 11:46 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5773 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Our streets and laws are generally designed for the convenience of the motor vehicle operator... not the safety of all those that may be using the road. Our streets could be safer. For one thing right on red is really a terrible thing for pedestrians. Left crossing turns with a walk signal are also equally dangerous. ...
First of all, Right on Red was law in California for decades, and slowly rolled out through the USA during the energy crisis as a fuel saving measure, not for driver convenience. It's usually not the law, where pedestrian traffic is high (all of NYC for example), and localities are usually free to busy intersections No right on red exceptions.

As for the proposed street plan. Note my objections apply to NYC reality and may not apply elsewhere.

1- Benches on Chicanes, most neighborhoods will object because these tend to become hangouts for the homeless, and locals don't tend to use them (who wants to sit around looking at a busy city street?)
2- chicanes on the left become obstacles for bicycles, interrupting the laminar flow. Cyclists in NYC keep left on one ways, especially if cars are parked on the right. The plan gives them the lousy choice of riding tight in a door zone, or on the left in and among the chicanes. If chaicanes are proposed they need to be on the same side of the street as the car parking lane. The proposed bike parking can share the chicane.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.