Old 05-22-14, 09:50 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist
I may have misunderstood about the meaning of assisted gps, but there seem to be some phones that *need* cell data to work. See the bolded part of this article: Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I'm clearly no expert, but I'll do a little more reading to make sure I get something that does what I want it to. One phone users manual I looked at seemed to indicate that cell data was needed to make it work. The manuals seem to say as little as possible about the technology in the phones and how it works, though....

I'm not going to end up with a current smartphone offering. The thought of spending even $100 on this (not to mention the HR monitor and speed/cadence sensors for at least two bikes - and then there's some kind of phone mount...) is already making me feel a little woozy. You're looking at a blackbelt cheapskate here.
I'm using the Samsung Centura which was about $80 on Amazon and works with Tracphone (also Straight Talk). It's a gen or two back, adequate but IMHO under-powered but about the best you could do with tracphone. I'd really prefer something like the Moto-G currently about twice that price, but I wouldn't go below the Centura specs regardless.

The thing about the external SD card is that you can't really move applications to it (some but only a few) and a lot of application data stays on the internal memory no matter what.

I think that assisted GPS also uses WIFI locators as well as the cell, in later Android versions at least. I'm not sure how it's affected without cell, but I'll put mine in airplane mode and turn on wifi and gps and see how strava handles it on the way home.