View Single Post
Old 05-23-14, 07:37 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I shared your concerns when I returned to biking. Initially I bought MTB shorts @ Performance. They worked OK. When I had my accident in 2009, they were ripped up. I then opted for bibs from Voler. I had lost 25 lbs and despite the concern for skin tight appearence, I decided there must be a reason for the KIT look. Went with Jerseys from Voler as well. I am not sorry for the bibs. They are much more comfortable than shorts as there is no lne preasure around the waist and no concern about location of the shorts. I only buy when they are on sale. They are usually a little more but competitive enough. Fit is not bad and the "chamois" makes a huge difference.

To hide my gut, I try to find jerseys with "busy" designs. When I ride, I ride for me and not to show myself to others. Their perseptions are just that and I don't really care. If we take the bikes somewhere and plan on meeting others, I where the bibs under my pants. The first couple of rides on the tandem were horrible with the rubbing because my wife said "You aren't going to wear those bike shorts are you?" Now I do and she doesn't say anything and I am nicer to my stoker (tandem rule number one)!