View Single Post
Old 05-23-14, 10:23 AM
FBinNY

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I've ridden all over the USA and will ride just about anywhere, but I won't ride in Dade county or many parts of south Florida.

IMO (opinion, correct me only if the fact are wrong) Florida's roads combine hazards in a way to raise the risk above my threshold level. Many roads have narrow lanes with dropoffs to poor or no shoulders. On those roads is a disproportion of older drivers with poorer vision, spacial judgement, and reflexes.

As cyclist I depend absolutely on drivers seeing me, gauging my speed and distance, checking for surrounding traffic, and moving over to pass or slowing to follow as conditions dictate. That's lots of "flight planning" that has to happen in the very short time span from initial detection to overlap. Delayed detection and/or slower calculations combine to increase the risk, so narrow roads full of old drivers are a pass for me.

Some improvement can be made in road design over time, but I don't know what if anything can be done about drivers until collision management systems become dominant over the next decade or two.