View Single Post
Old 05-24-14, 08:12 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
What make and model bike are you riding now? Is is one of the mass-merchandiser bikes? It's not normal for "gears to wear out" on a decent bike for many thousands of miles. If you perform normal maintenance on the bike, including lubricating he chain, the drive train parts should last for a long time.

There was a recent question on replacing chains and I asked several fellow riders about who had replaced their chain. Nobody had replaced a chain. Their mileage was all over 5,000 miles and one was nearing 10K. You can bet they haven't changed out chain rings or cassettes either. That's my experience too. When I eventually do replace the chain, I also replace the cassette.

Don't expect anyone here to tell you what bike to buy. They can give suggestions but nothing is better than you actually trying out a bunch of bikes before you make the choice. If you buy a road bike it will usually have a higher gear range than an MTB. Road bikes usually have narrower, higher pressure tires so they go faster but may give you a bit harsher ride on rough roads. There's always a trade off.