Old 10-13-05, 02:18 AM
meb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bobkeenan
They just finished a light rail line closer to my work. So I now have about 2 miles to the start and 2 miles from the end to my work. I could walk but I would like to shorten the time I commute. The Light rail, itself, adds 15 minutes.

Light rail allows you to bring your bike on board but limits each car to 2-4 bikes. About 10% of the time the cars are full of bikes and you have to miss the train. That means getting to work 30min late.

My budget is @ $500.

At my local bike shops I have tried the Giant halfway and the Dahon Boardwalk. I can't explain why but the Halfway felt like a better ride.

I was also thinking I could use a folder when we car camp or go sailboat chartering but it would mostly get used in the commute.

Any suggestions or comments on these bikes or any other that I should consider for this kind of use?
Could you clarify how folder fits into the light rail issue:
i.e., is a folded bike exempted from the limit in contrast to a non-folded bike subject to it?
Is a folder chosen to take inside the office?
Are folders the only bikes permitted on the light rail system during hours you need commute?

If the Giant feels better to you than the Boardwalk, go with the Giant/Boardwalk as you are going to be riding it for years.