Old 05-25-14, 01:22 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
Two issues with the Dexter bike lanes. First, it doesn't take you everywhere Westlake does (and visa versa). Second, the hill on the north side isn't trivial. I'd venture to say that an average cyclist would take Westlake instead of Dexter if they can take either route to reach their destination and both are equally safe. I would.

No way should the proposed Westlake bike track be designed as a recreational bike path. Sure, one could enjoy a scenic ride on Lake Union, but the primary use of the bike track will definitely be commuting. I'm not a fast cyclist by any standard, but I can easily average 15 MPH on Westlake. Ten MPH would be more appropriate for MUPs, if you ask me.

I would rather ride Westlake too if there were a decent bike path and I was just going through the area, but Dexter and west is the residential area where most of the local folks are.

I wish my commute was as flat as Dexter or as bike friendly as either.