View Single Post
Old 05-25-14, 09:13 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I live in Oakland, CA in a fairly walkable/transit friendly area. Across the street I have a commuter bus that goes to SF, I used it when I worked in SF. Also there is a bus thar goes to downtown (a 10 minute ride to the BART our subway/commuter rail) and a few other areas. It runs 7 days a week but the frequency sucks. It is every 30 minutes during the week from 7-8 and once an hour on the weekends from 7-7 I think. One block down gives me access to a trunk route that I mostly take to the BART or to transfer from the other trunk route. It runs about 6-midnight every 15-20 minutes daily. But travels east/west a direction I don't go as often. 3 blocks away give me access to 2 more buses that run downtown and to nearby cities (Berkeley and Alameda).

So those buses gave me access to the other neighborhoods I visited most and the train stations, which are about 1-1.25 miles away for me. The train is a quick ride to SF for me, about 20 minutes. I also have used it on my bike to work experiments, I live 30 miles from work.

I used to use transit 1-3 days a week (driving the rest). Now I have swapped most of the bus rides for my bike. And use the train too. I bike to the train vs taking the bus or driving. I am thinking about biking 1-2x a week. Most of my local destinations are within 3 miles.

i do carpool quite a bit. I am sort of the DD in my friend circle. My sister and about 3 other close friends are transit only. Most don't have drivers licenses either. They also do not bike, but one is thinking about getting one. So I get to cart everyone around if we go somewhere transit unfriendly or if I happen to be heading to target.