Old 05-26-14, 02:59 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermespan
I don't understand why patents even exist. If I am living in the forest and build a better lean-too shelter my neighbour Neanderthals will copy it if it is more leak-proof, faster to make, whatever. So what? Some will experiment and make it even better. A restaurant makes a good soup. People figure out the recipe and copy it. Why should industrial design be any different?
The system is certainly imperfect but patents are important to give individuals and companies the confidence to dedicate resources towards innovation, knowing their hard work will be protected if and when it succeeds.

Of course, unscrupulous humans have discovered loopholes and are taking advantage of the system (like Apple) by collecting patents of every single silly little thing - without using them - just to hobble their competitors, or launch a lawsuit.

"Green Pick-up-call Button"? Patented. "Small wobble each time you swipe the screen"? Patented.

The guys who thought they were being smart when they did this should be lined up and shot in the head.