View Single Post
Old 05-27-14, 07:40 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't think commuting is a lowly function that deserves only crappy bikes.
I agree with you in principle. In fact I rode the Raleigh for my commute last week, and the Masi once last week and today. The Bianchi has gotten most of the commute mileage largely because its Gatorskins seem impervious to everything.

Therein lies the problem. My commute is more akin to road cycling than urban, 15 miles and nearly 800ft of climbing each way, passing a few "urban" farms. I don't need lights other than as a "notice me" thing on dark, rainy days. (I run a rear blinky and wear a day-glo yellow vest anyway.) Don't need the rack either, most of the time. So the Peugeot has become more of a utility bike than commuter, and it is very good in that roll. If I moved either lights or rack over to the Raleigh I'd probably ride it less, not more. And I'd ride the Peugeot even less than I do now. Of course some would argue that that's no great loss.

So it all boils down to leaving well enough alone.