View Single Post
Old 05-28-14, 08:24 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Last year there were four of us, and we all registered on site, all for the 30-mile route; socialization trumped distance.
Well then, if that's the plan that's what we'll do too. (Will have to check with my sweetie first to be sure she's happy with the distance.) Any idea which route others are registered for?

That route did include about 5 miles in the Minuteman National Historic Park, which was very interesting, but not the best on skinny tires.
We've never ridden through that part of the park. Might be fun if the ground is dry enough to support our tandem on 32mm tires. If not, we can back out and run up rt 2A to Meriam's Corner and let everyone catch up there. Some of the rest of that route is, ah, curious. For example, the run south along rt 4 up from the river isn't my favorite for the tandem though it provides access to Dudley Rd. (In fact, Dudley Rd is a quiet, out-of-the-way, old, indeed ancient bumpy road worth seeing at least once, but may not tolerate a few thousand cyclists at once.) The section from Hartwell to Rt 2A will be, shall we say, short but interesting too. Still, lots of people ride those roads.

BTW, besides the Long Ride itself, we usually make the Fifty-Plus Annual Ride a two-three day affair, Friday to Sunday, with some additional activities.
Also a great idea. I assume it means a ride on Sun and a gathering or picnic or Friday, possibly a gathering on Sunday also before everyone heads home. I'll likely be working on Friday but a Friday evening thing sounds good.