Old 05-28-14, 10:07 PM
John Redcorn

Bikes: Crosstrail Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Want to try a rental road bike, what to enjoy, what not to do?

I got a cheap DB mtb around christmas when my daughters got new bigger-kid bikes so I could ride with them. My 1st cycling experience in ~20 years.

Since then I've been by myself doing 50ish miles a week on flat-trails on lunch breaks or before/after work.

A place nearby the trails rents Giant hybrids and roadbikes and I want to try both. I want higher gears sometimes on the mtb with a strong wind at my back and the hybrid will have that but unless there is a strong wind I'm not expecting a whole huge difference. Probably trying hybrid 1st.

Then there's the roadbike, the wheels/tires look so frail to me. I'm 220 pounds. Will I kill it if I jump up/down a curb? Today the trail was blocked by some skaters stopped in the middle of talking, I could have braked but I ran off into the grass and over some roots sticking up to go around, bad idea on a roadbike? or will it handle a tiny instance of stuff like that without damage or crashing?

What should I not worry about and enjoy? I should be able to get started easier + go faster at the same level of muscle output, what else?