View Single Post
Old 05-29-14, 10:02 AM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
it's amazing how effective ice is at keeping you going comfortably. After years of resistance, I started wearing a hydration pack with I fill with ice at every opportunity. I got tired of running out of water on hot days and the ice helps a lot with keeping hydrated. Nothing worse than being dehydrated and not wanting to drink because the water you are carrying is hot. You can do the same with water bottles. I use insulated water bottles for the same reason.

I suppose it is possible to drink too much water and need electrolytes, but I generally get that by eating.

It's light out at 6:30 nowadays. I think I would rethink the start time. eta, I didn't realize we are 40 minutes ahead of you on sunrise
A similar strategy without the hydration pack is to just take a one-gallon plastic bag, fill it halfway with ice, and tuck it into the top of your jersey on top of your shoulderblades. I made myself a little mesh pack that lets me do this, but also lets me move the ice around more easily.