Old 05-29-14, 11:29 PM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Methinks the newer tech Garmin is using is closer to reality than older models as JakiChan mentioned in his post.
I'm not sure how the accuracy works out. I noted in DC Rainmaker's blog that, interestingly enough, the first gen Firstbeat calculations worked better with new runners than with more advanced ones, thus the 2nd gen version adapts to the person as it "learns" about you. I *think* that Strava is using your heart rate data to estimate power output, and from there getting calories. But that adds more uncertainty (if they do that).

Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Somewhat rhetorical question why is it that everyone using a powermeter thinks that only their data is true and accurate? HRM is better than blind guesses that Strava and the like make in that it does account for effort due to wind, something that is nearly always a factor where I ride both as a hinderance and a boost. The two do not balance out.
I wouldn't say that power data is the only true measure, but if you have all the variables (like an accurate VO2 Max number, etc) it could be more accurate - *if* you know your efficiency (which would require lab testing).

However, here's the kicker:

https://support.garmin.com/support/s...00000000000%7D

The Edge 500 calculates calories based on available resources.
Below is the order of precedence:
  1. New Leaf profile - calculated using New Leaf profile if loaded onto the device
  2. Firstbeat technology - calculated when the Garmin heart rate monitor is paired with the Edge 500 and user profile data
  3. Third-party ANT+ enabled power meter (converts wattage (kj) to calories)
  4. Speed, Distance, and User Profile - calculated using speed, distance, and user profile data
If one or more is not available, the Edge 500 will intuitively use the next option to calculate calorie burn.

So I think that *if* you have a power meter and an HRM paired...you're still getting the HR based calorie data. Strava might do a KJ to Kcal conversion, but then they have to estimate your "efficiency". How many calories did you burn to produce those KJs?