Old 05-31-14, 10:44 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Awesome.

When you shift down tube shifters or barcons the left lever also moved forward which is a little more intuitive although some don't like the low position on bar ends as the bar end then sticks up and people sometimes hit it although this is what happens on the other side when you are in the low gear...

Suntour's vintage front derailleurs are all really good and when I started cycling seriously in the 80's it was interesting to note that the components that shifted best cost half as much as Campagnolo and less than pretty much everyone else too... my first race bike was equipped with Cyclone Mk2 and this is where my love of Suntour started.
That's what I discovered this Winter while riding trails. The bar end would hit my knee, and sometimes I get the badly timed upshift while struggling to climb a steep slope.
I guess it is visually and functionally more matching...pull to downshift.

I also like Suntour's performance when it came to their drivetrain.
When I picked up a Cannondale R500 with a road triple, I noticed it was kitted up with RX100 except the FD. Instead, a braze-on version of a Suntour model and a braze on adapter clamp was spec-ed by Cannondale. It handled the triple effortlessly. I guess there wasn't a Shimano model that was satisfactory.
(Man, I hope I get that Cannondale back!)