carnivroar

Bikes: NOT a fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
Well, sorta true...

Salt is not the ONLY trigger for hypertension. But, high sodium intake increases fluid volume -- and an increase in fluid volume in a closed system increases pressure. Conversely, losing volume (say from profuse bleeding) decreases volume and blood pressure (but that method for reducing blood pressure is not generally recommended).

In our culture, about the only way to maintain a low sodium diet is to eat non-processed foods. That is: food as it came from nature. But then you gotta "process" it yourself -- and cooking takes time and is quickly becoming a lost art.

As for increased carbs causing high blood pressure: I increased my carbs to 70% of calories and my unmedicated blood pressure dropped from above 160/90 to below 120/70.
Chronically full glycogen stores (I.e. someone who eats a lot of carbs and doesn't exercise) is what causes water retention, which in turn causes salt retention. Glycogen requires a relatively large amount of water to be stored along with it. Again, cut the problem by the root.

I eat low-carb. Once I heard that salt is harmless on low-carb I started eating a lot of it over night. I noticed no ill effects or bloating whatsoever. My performance increased and my food tasted better.

I'm not saying you have to eat low-carb to control blood pressure. I'm only pointing out that the lower the carbs, the more efficient your body becomes at removing excess salt. Salt is not the problem.