Old 06-02-14, 06:00 PM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenh
Why take the devices. You don't need them to travel. Why are getting away in the first place...to get away...from what? Leave the devices at home and go enjoy a nice bike trip. I see my trip coming up this summer is going to be radically different from what I've did so far. I hope I don't find myself riding 150+ miles everyday as a result but I think I'm going to have no other option. Too many hours of daylight each day in areas where there isn't anything to do but to get out of the area...err, ride the bike.
I take devices because it requires money to travel. I work as a full time RN supervisor, and along with my wife run FCO with an embroidery business. The embroidery requires constant communication with the clients and when i am away, my cousin who helps run the biz when i am not around. So i do rely on some communication. I am most likely going to opt for a cat eye computer with the options and go with wireless. I personally prefer to use a paper map with gps phone for backup. At present time, most of my riding is done without using electronics. When riding, my wife and I enjoy taking side trips. So we like to look at a map or map app for seeing what is close by to check out.

My wife is less experienced plus has bad knees. So the bulk of the loads will be carried by myself with very little on her bicycle. I know i can grind out the climbs. So knowing where major hills are is a big plus. I will check out the motion GPX and the google play. Thank you all for the input!