View Single Post
Old 06-04-14, 12:07 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I had to get some blood tests today. I decided to work from home, since I have a meeting in the late afternoon, and driving to work would eat up a ton of time. My lab location moved, a few blocks. I was running late this morning, and I thought it was closer to my old lab, but I ended up overshooting it by a few blocks. I left way later than I intended, the lab didn't have any bike racks on street, so I had to find a pole. Amazingly I still made it on time. It took less time than I expected.

It was a fasting blood test, and I was taking it slow before getting started on work, I decided to stop for breakfast at a local cafe. I was on my way, and feeling exhausted (I seem to be very sensitive to low blood sugar states) and thinking....do I really really want to ride all the way to the end of the commercial district for that coffee place? And I noticed a new restaurant just started breakfast and coffee service, so I stopped there. Grabbed some granola/yogurt and coffee. And it was way closer! Then I rode back home, and got started working!

But I did have a near miss on my way home. I was riding in the bike lane in my commercial district. My city is really lazy about designing for intersections. Anyway, the lane was ending soon. I was headed to the intersection. For safety, I typically dismount at this intersection and use the crosswalk. It is pretty busy, and there isn't a lot of space for bikes. Anyway, a car cut me off, within inches, to turn at the light (of course a right turn on the red). It was disorienting, luckily I wasn't going very fast so I had time to react.