Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
>>>>how much farther does the trail go past where i parked??<<<<

The trail ends a few hundred feet (?) north of where you parked, at Woodbury Road. From there, a marked biked lane leads you (theoretically) to the Syosset LIRR station. Woodbury Road is horrible to ride on, as is Piquets Lane, the next step of the journey. Once you get to Southwoods Road, there's a nice bike lane that continues on Syosset-Cold Spring Road (another lousy road to bike on) to the train station. If you choose to continue to the train station, you're better off taking Southwoods to Convent to Greenway Circle to Sherman Drive to Ira Road to the station. Google Map it and it will make sense!

Essentially, State Senator (and my friend) Carl Marcellino found a way to secure funding for this project back in the late 1990's by guaranteeing that the bikeway extension would lead to a mass transit station. He turned it over to the NYS DOT and they tried to run it through the Rt. 135 right-of-way, but that didn't work out. Rather than give up because they lost that big chunk of traffic-free right-of-way, they compromised and striped some bike lanes on the roadways instead. In the end, we got a really nice bikeway from Woodbury Road to Merrick Road, which is more than we had before.
sure beats the belt pkwy! thou I do kinda like the 84 st to floyd bennett ride! once those other bridges are done im sure it will be even better.......i carry the pepper spray on that one, never know whats gonna jump out of those weeds