mobile_gnome

Bikes: (Sekai 2400 1982-1996), Raleigh M50, Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Another new 2014 Sirrus Comp Carbon

Pics;

I wanted to buy a bike that would be supported by a LBS, so I was mainly choosing between Giant, Trek and Specialized. My riding is going to be street and paved trail so I was mainly looking at hybrids... and originally I wanted to spend something like $750. I spent several weeks bugging the Trek shop looking at the DS and FX bikes. That led me to compare the Specialized offerings and while visiting that shop I had a chance to do a test ride on a Roubaix Elite 105.

I knew that the Trek FX 7.7 was a Madone frame, and the Sirrus Comp Carbon would be the Roubaix. Anyway that little test ride changed my mind about what I was looking for. I took a chance and ordered the Sirrus Comp Carbon sight unseen, based on the fit and feel of the Roubaix.

Took a couple weeks to arrive, not bad for a fresh new model. Very pleased with the fit and finish - its a very nice looking bike and shows better in person than in the few pics Specialized and some of the shops have posted. Nice contrast of the mat gray and gloss black on the frame.

I had it side by side with the Roubaix of roughly the same frame size and it sure looks like the same frame - same head angle and wheelbase. The Sirrus Comp Carbon is noticeably heavier than the Elite 105 though... mine weighs in at 21lbs. That difference is the seatpost, handlebar, and disc brakes mostly...

I got the small frame model - which just fits me (5'5"). Making adjustments to fit over the last few days, and I'm comfortable, but the shortness of the road frame geometry is noticeable reach wise. To fix that I am probably going to upgrade the seatpost to a shorter lighter one with an offset. Also thinking of a handlebar upgrade to lose some grams.

I do like the road geometry. I rode a Falcon back in the 70's that was super short and responsive, and the Sirrus Comp has that same "lets go quick" feel.

The bike arrived with 700x23 tires instead of the advertised 28's, and I had them put on Specialized All Condition Armadillos instead of the stock supplied rubber. There are miles of hardpack and crushed gravel paths I want to ride and I'm looking at fitting Specialized Infinity's (or similar) in 700x32 on the bike.

The Sirrus Comp Carbon is a great value for the money IMHO. Carbon! Discs! Fast!

I'll report more as I put on some miles...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2208.jpg (103.7 KB, 196 views)
IMG_2209.jpg (100.9 KB, 128 views)
IMG_2211.jpg (101.6 KB, 115 views)
IMG_2212.jpg (100.2 KB, 106 views)
IMG_2213.jpg (101.3 KB, 109 views)