View Single Post
Old 06-08-14, 07:57 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Would cycling actually be fun if you had to have total focus at all times while riding?
If this were the Commuting Forum my answer would be: "Hell NO, it's NOT FUN!" Some of my past commutes were downright hateful and required total concentration on the matter at hand. How many commutes in a car or on a bike are really fun? Not too many I bet. Some are just more risky than others. But even cycling on a lovely MUP in the country, you shouldn't just zone-out if you want to be courteous to cyclists overtaking you. You don't need to be "fighter pilot" aware, but you still should pay attention on some level.

Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
How do you explain all the world class professional cyclist that are injured or killed? If anyone would have total focus while riding they should.
Exposure. There is your answer. Do you have the slightest idea how much time professional racers spend cycling on roads shared with cars? And how fatigued they get especially towards the end of a 120 mile training ride? Time spend on the road + number of cognitive lapses = increasing risk.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 06-08-14 at 08:05 AM.