Old 06-09-14, 08:23 AM
Coluber42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it seems like the thing to do is start by writing a blog that people actually want to read. You need to give honest, thoughtful reviews of products you try (i.e, don't just spout back the company's own verbiage) and give serious consideration to what/who the product might work for, not work for, etc. Probably you shouldn't *only* do reviews (especially since it will probably be a long time before anyone is going to start sending you stuff to review, so you'll be writing about stuff you bought for yourself, or stuff that belongs to your friends). Other stuff possibly of interest is ride reports, interviews, factory tours, etc. Check out Gravelbike and Lovely Bicycle for examples of people who started blogs and then eventually companies were willing to send them stuff to review.
Another good reason to read through Lovely Bicycle from the beginning is to see how it has evolved, and the fact that it did not have a big following in the very beginning. It takes time to develop a loyal reader base. The author of Lovely Bicycle has been offered other writing jobs in the bike industry as a result of the blog, but again, not until she had put several years of hard work for no money into it.
Lastly, figure out what perspective you can bring that is unique to you. Again I'm using Lovely Bicycle as an example because I know her personally, but I think part of what helped her develop the following she has was that she was giving serious, thoughtful treatment to topics often ignored elsewhere.
Basically, no one wants to hire someone who is going to just duplicate the drivel on the pages of every glossy magazine. If you want companies to send you free stuff to review and have someone pay you for doing it, you need to have something new and interesting to say.