Old 10-14-05, 04:35 AM
Dieter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you train for a marathon while doing tri sports on low time budget?

How many of you have experience running a marathon, or experience training for one and fail? I would like to run a marathon a year from now if I can train for it. The goal would be just finishing as long as I can jog the whole distance. No walking!

I average about 100 miles per week on the bike and 15 miles running atm. I suck at swimming, but enjoy it and try to get 1-2 workouts in every week. I am 26 years old and 142 lbs. Usually I have 1-2 interval sessions each week, 1 long swim/ride/run combo (not always including all three) and 2 rest days. The rest are low intensity base/recovery days.

I know I could do it if I gave up swim/bike. But I want to keep working on those as well. Can I train for one if I only run 2 or 3 times per week? I mean, will the cross training with the other sports help me sufficiently to achieve that? I would like to avoid all my long sessions becoming run sessions as I plan on competing in a few bike races next summer. With 6-10 hours per week to train, what is your experience?