View Single Post
Old 06-10-14, 02:33 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
my vote is for the panasonic.... they did not list a size, but eyeballing the picture it looks like it would fit a 5' 8' person

Panasonics were really nice bikes, very well made. This was considered a high end touring model

This is touring so you will get a little stronger frame (so really no worries about 330 on the frame), stronger wheels and cantilever brakes. it has fenders and a rack...so it would also be a good commutter

Bike value is totally by market but $175 does not look bad, it will probably need new tires and tubes, possibly break pads

this bike would have been from around 1982 to 1989 roughly (because it has bio pace)

The shifters are down tube....no big deal in my mind and may or may not be indexed, again not a huge problem

you could get this bike and then in the future decide what if you want to upgrade or get a newer bike.

it would be good to learn how to work on bikes.....much cheaper... a few bucks on basic tools and you are set

look at Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog for really good basic info

...my guess is the fame is a 19 or 21"

frame sizing is odd

Road bikes were measured from center of the bottom bracket to top of seat tube.... high end and euoropean bikes measured in CM

Many of the bike boom japanese bikes were measured in inches ie 19, 21, 23, 25, 27 23" is close ti 58 cm

then mountain bikes came around and brought out new measurements so a 17 or 19 in a mtn bike is not the same as a 17 or 19 in a road bike

and now many road bikes have a sloping top tube and longer seat post which complicates the 'classic' measurement.

and further complication is some bikes are now small, medium, large etc. with minimal consistency between brands

Last edited by squirtdad; 06-10-14 at 04:18 PM. Reason: seat tube no post