Old 06-11-14, 12:15 AM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some of the streets in my area:

The first one has views of gardens full of beautiful flowers, and no lane markings at all, so I can ride right out in the center and avoid the door zone on both sides. There's little traffic. There are a lot of streets like this in my neighborhood, and I think they are my favorite type for riding.

The path beside the second street is a shortcut that cars can't use. It continues straight (or you can turn left onto a street) while the road curves off to the right in the distance. To my mind this is a sidewalk, but the city claims it's a MUP, so I use it as one even though the whole thing, which is supposed to accommodate two-way bike traffic plus pedestrians, is only about 7 feet wide. Luckily it's not too crowded.

The third and fourth streets are part of my commute. I like that both have a nice bike lane with no parked cars. Note in the fourth picture, to the left of the silver car, the sharrow in the center turn lane. This road also features special induction loops for bikes to trigger traffic signals. Until a few months ago, it had no bike facilities at all and poor pedestrian facilities; this new design is part of the sustainable streets initiative.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Orinda.jpg (65.4 KB, 31 views)
Franklin.jpg (63.2 KB, 31 views)
Saratoga.jpg (70.7 KB, 32 views)
Delaware.jpg (71.0 KB, 32 views)