Old 06-12-14, 12:12 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by illusiumd
Thanks so much for the feedback. Yes, I'm definitely going to my LBS. Luckily there's two or three really good ones close. I'm going to see what they can do in terms of building me a road/touring bike. I think I'd like a road frame but with handlebars that come up a bit ... right now my elbows are killling me.

I'd be interested in what a good ES build would be and how much it would cost.

Here's an interesting Soma build:
Soma ES w/ Shimano 105 ? American Cyclery

Update: I think this is what I want:
6'7" and want a road bike? No problem! Soma ES custom. | Yelp
Since you're located in Chicago, I would suggest that you contact the "Working Bikes" co-op. The mechanics there will be able to assist you with all of your questions.

I'm not quite sure about their shop protocol, but if it's anything like what I'm accustomed to, you should be able to discuss your build with them. Next, have both the frame and fork delivered to your residence, and then have "Working Bikes" assist you with your own build.

That's right! You can build the bike yourself, under the tutelage of a veteran mechanic. I'm most certain that will save you a bunch of $$$!

Working Bikes Co-op
2434 S. Western Avenue
Chicago, IL., 60608
(773) 847-5440

Just ask for:

Manager: Paul Fitzgerald

Mechanic: Alan Lloyd

Mechanic: Aaron Brown

PS.

*Since it takes a slow but busy veteran mechanic less than 2 hours to build a bike, it should take a complete novice less than six hours.

Last edited by WestPablo; 06-14-14 at 06:01 AM.