Old 06-12-14, 06:49 PM
WrightVanCleve

Bikes: 2013 Trek One Series

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand you don't want stuff on your back but I would learn to deal with it. Dehydration sucks. Severe dehydration is worse. You would be better off if you can carry all that extra water than get dehydrated. The more you carry, the more you'll drink, and the better you'll feel on those blistering rides.

Camelback used to make a waist pack, only held 60 oz of water but it was all centered on your waist like a fanny pack. If you don't mind something like that then you could search out for one of them. I don't think they make the model anymore that I used. I liked the one I had but the bladder was really hard to get ice in there because the opening was small unlike openings they have today(it was 10 to 15 years ago.) Bag was also special so if you did have a problem with the bladder, you had to special order where most backpack types are interchangeable. I liked it because it was off my back and I wanted the stuff off my back to get under low branches when I ducked since I was on a mountain bike, but I also hated the drawbacks and ended up getting a backpack type and learned to deal with it.

Water bottles can be frozen over night, but even insulated bottles will have your drink warm after an hour or two(depending upon the heat) or not quite thawed if you need the drink sooner. They also don't always hold enough water so be careful you check on how much they hold. You can stop and get a beverage, but then you are spending money unless you can plan a route that hits parks with drinking fountains, but then you will be limited to where you can go and can't really explore. Even having to stop you'll probably want to plan the routes more so that you can make sure you have a place to buy something. Not sure how your country side is, mine isn't too bad if I want to stop but not every small town has a Kwik-E-Mart type of store or a place you can buy something cold. I like to be able to get out and ride and sometimes explore and not worry about such things.

You do much better if you can carry enough water and are prepared. Dehydration sucks. Can't say that enough. Been there, done that, don't care to go back.

Last edited by WrightVanCleve; 06-12-14 at 08:37 PM.