View Single Post
Old 06-13-14, 02:04 AM
CarinusMalmari

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Wrong, a lot of people working in the Bay area, Los Angeles, etc all have a mean distance of 77 to 61 mile commute, and this sort of mileage is not uncommon. When I use to live in Bakersfield Ca, I knew a lot of people who commuted to Los Angeles averaging almost 2 hours one way, or an average of 110 miles one way!!! I also knew people who did that going into San Francisco. Those commuters are not rare by the way. When I lived in Lancaster Ca I had for a while a 68 mile commute to Los Angeles via the 14 frwy and that frwy was jammed with cars all doing similar miles. The top 20 largest cities in the US have an average of 25 mile commutes, little difficult to attempt that by bike.
Blah, Blah, now let's take a look at some real information like this graph. We can see that about 25% of car commutes is shorter than a perfect-for-cycling 2x5mile trip. Another quarter of commutes is up to a less ideal 2 x 10 miles, but still within the capabilities of the average Joe. And this is just the car commutes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
commute-distance.jpg (23.6 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by CarinusMalmari; 06-13-14 at 02:14 AM.