View Single Post
Old 06-13-14, 08:49 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's why time is the real limiting factor. You can eat enough calories in five minutes that it would take you 10 hours to burn them off exercising. So in that you are limited in the amount of time you have in a day if you exceed the number of calories you can burn in the time frame you have available to exercise you will not be able to "out ride your diet". I think the real issue with people is that the exercise apps way overstate the amount of calories we are burning and people have a tendency to try to "use up" the calories they are allotted in a day so they are actually not burning as many as they think they are. Also, calories listed on products especially when eating out are understated because of the lack of consistency in serving sizes. In restaurants it is rare that the dish is made exactly like it was made for the nutrition guide and many times that is just an estimate anyway.

The best program is an individual one that requires long term commitment. Eat on a schedule with controlled measured portions and keep a log of your food and exercise. monitor your weight on the scale and compare it to your log each week not every day. If your weight goes down all is well if it doesn't then add exercise or cut calories by changing to a different food item or lowering portion size.

Oh and I define a bad diet as one that doesn't provide the nutrition required to enable you to exercise enough to burn calories effectively. The avoidance of high fats and sugars are not nearly as important in my eyes as they make them out to be except that they are higher in calories. Even salty food isn't a big deal as long as you drink enough fluids to keep it flushed out of your system. There are other health related issues that come into play when saying that so I am referring to an otherwise healthy person. I do have controlled diabetes but have no issues with blood pressure or cholestrol.

Last edited by spdracr39; 06-13-14 at 08:56 AM.