View Single Post
Old 06-14-14, 10:36 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The next day saw us hustle out of Coos County (not our favorite place). Here I am with my favorite greasy breakfast 50 miles into the day. Lucky for me, one of the shops on the dock agreed to fire up the oil a couple hours early to satisfy my appetite.

This is Port Orford, OR, just north of Humbug Mountain. We met several nice and interesting people at the campground near here. Two of them were travelling north into the summer north wind. One of those was an extremely fit college student from Switzerland bound for Alaska and then home for some mountain climbing. His bike and gear weighed more than our tandem and its gear; he's a strong man. The other northbound rider was a man who had made a substantial sum in China over the previous decade, and then lost it all. He was on a journey to find his inner peace. Not all the motorists were down with his mission as he rolled along on a Wally world bike with a trailer and only one functional brake. Still, he was happier than the Portland couple who were doing a bucket list ride from Astoria to San Francisco.