View Single Post
Old 06-17-14, 09:30 PM
zydecodan

Bikes: Early 70's Centurian 10 sp, mfr Japan. 1990's Giant Zoom Mtn bike, Schwinn 12 speed 1980's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding down the highway

Hello, I'm from the mid-Michigan area. I'm going to hit 62 this August. I guess I've been riding for lots of years. But only recently since a couple of years ago, I decided to "get back in the saddle" again. I've got 3 antique bikes. I've been riding a 1974 Centurion 10 speed, made in Japan. It's a skinny tire road bike. Then there's a red Schwinn Mesa Runner, 12 speed. I enjoy riding this around town and for errands. And finally I've got a white Giant 18 speed Mtn bike. I've been replacing tubes and tires before they self destruct. I'm a CDL "A" semi-truck driver. I've seen a lot of things going down the expressways as well as the 2 lane highways. I always try to give the bicycle riders as much room as I safely can. I'm planning to take the Giant with me in the semi-truck, so that after I'm parked at the end of my 11 hour or longer day, I can get out the 2 wheeler and try to relax and decompress. Besides that, burning up some calories while doing something that's fun, is a great reason to enjoy a bicycle. I also have a small machine shop with acetylene / oxygen torches, welders, lathes, milling machines. So I'm thinking that I'd like to try and build some kind of bicycle. Whether or not this "franken-bike-stein" will go down the road is still an unknown. I enjoy traveling, I did throw caution to the winds and I went to Mexico City, Taxco and Cuernavaca in 2011 for 5.5 weeks during our winter season. It was an eye-opener. I'd like to be able to "safely" ride a bike in Mexico, but depending on one's location safety and bike riding seem to be at odds. I enjoy reading and if I have something of interest to post I'll chime in. ZydecoDan