cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4120 Post(s)
Liked 1,609 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by WrightVanCleve View Post
It is getting warm here and my water warmed up a bit earlier than I liked. My bag isn't insulated where the bladder sits, just a pouch for it, but I like the bag so I'm not getting rid of it. I can pack 2 of the 3 liter bladders in there anyway for really long rides if I figure I'm going to explore and get lost for a bit like I enjoy doing. When I do that, usually there is just farm roads and I often avoid areas that look settled.

I'm looking for a neoprene or insulating pouch for my water bladder.

I'll probably also get a Platypus 3 liter pouch to replace my aged Blackburns since they impart a taste to the water now. I don't like Camelbak pouches or bladders, really don't like the bladder opening at all and would rather have the open end like Blackburn or Platypus. The Camelbak pouch also looks like you need to put the bladder inside before you fill and I prefer to freeze the water in the bladder and I like to do a quick thaw and get the bladder unfrozen from the ice so I really don't want Camelbak. Blackburn isn't making bladders anymore, at least not finding anything new.

I did find a insulator for the Platypus pouches but it was at least $100 on Amazon, just a insulating pouch no backpack with it. I did find a generic pouch that I'd be interested in on E-Bay for around $15 but didn't see any info on it so I'm not likely to get that, I'd like to have a certain thickness to be sure I'm getting something that will work fairly well so I'm not likely to purchase that one and if it is so cheap I'm thinking that it is probably the thinner neoprene.

I had thought about making my own but the sheets of neoprene can get a bit pricey with the thicker stuff, at least for the 4mm thick sheets. This is still an option if I can't find what I'd like but I'd also like to not have to make something if I can just purchase what I want.

My internet search-fu isn't great so I don't think I'm finding all the options out there but could be that there are not very many options out there.

So, anyone know any good insulated pouches or bladders that open at the top that come with a removable insulating pouch.
I think you are somewhat confused about the Camelbak. The bladder doesn't need to be in the back pack to fill it on most of their packs. The Rogue and the Classic have bladders that remain in place but they aren't all that difficult to deal with and they are lower volume as well. For the others, you remove the bladder from a zipped pocket, fill and then slide back into the pocket. They are easy to use. Camelbak makes an Unbottle which is a 100 oz bladder in a neoprene sleeve without backpack straps. The bladder and sleeve are around $50 on Amazon.

I have owned a first generation Platypus and never found the top opening to be all that convenient. It's a nice idea but it leaked.

Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
Yeah. I dive in CA and the Northeast using wetsuits and drysuits. I though about suggesting getting a leg or arm off a used wetsuit at dive shop but feel the aluminized bubble pack is a much better solution. Here's a huge roll at Amazon, but they have much smaller quantities at the local hardware store.

Reflectix BP24050 24-Inch-by-50-Foot Bubble Pack Insulation - Weatherproofing Window Insulation Kits - Amazon.com
There are a some problems with the Reflectix. First, it doesn't have the same insulation properties of neoprene...about half the r-value per inch. Second, you have to form a pouch out of the material. How do you propose to do that. It probably won't sew well as the stitches won't hold and glue wouldn't do much better. You could use tape but even that is going to perform poorly and probably worse when you get it wet. If you do manage to get a pouch made of the material, the bubbles aren't going to stand up to regular use all that well...think bubble wrap and the joy of popping it. Once you pop the bubbles, the insulation factor goes down steeply.

Neoprene is a more durable material that is easier to sew.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.