cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4114 Post(s)
Liked 1,604 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by WrightVanCleve View Post
I have a Camelbak bladder, came with my commuter/long trips/when I need a big backpack, backpack. CamelBak | VANTAGE FT Large Capacity Backcountry Hydration Pack I'm very happy with this bag.
Then why not just use that bag? You can put any bladder in it you want. You don't have to use a Camelbak bladder in a Camelbak bag.

There is a neoprene insulator for Camelbak bladders. You have to put the bladder in that pouch first before filling. I don't care for that. That is what I was referring to having to insert into the pouch first before filling. I've never put the bladder into my backpack before filling.
I'm not sure we are understanding each other. The Unbottle comes in it's own pouch and you are right that they are difficult to remove but you never have to remove it from the pouch to fill it. The opening is easily accessible from the front of the bag. If you wanted to use it in a regular Camelbak pack, you could just slide it into place like you would an uninsulated bladder.

A Camelbak bladder in a regular Camelbak backpack doesn't have to be in the pack to fill it. I fill mine outside the pack and then slip them into the insulated sleeve in the pack.

I feel the opening more difficult to fill with ice cubes if I forget to fill and freeze overnight. Most often I'll fill and freeze but sometimes I forget. I gave it a try, I just don't like it.
I'm not sure how big your ice cubes are but the opening on a modern Camelbak bladder is about 4" across. The old ones...circa 1995...had really narrow openings but that changed long ago.

I just don't like the opening. Much prefer top loading. That is one reason I hung on to my Blackburns so long. They also didn't have a taste back then, but that was years ago and I didn't feel the need to replace them. I've liked Blackburn products and they had good products so I didn't think they'd get out of other markets. But, Camelbak is a very recognizable name and people always ask what kind of Camelbak that bag is, I use a Deuter bag for when I'm just going for a ride.

My bladders have a very nice fold over three times, then flip over the velcro. Never had a problem with leaking and very easy to fill.
To each his own.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.