Old 06-19-14, 11:16 AM
WrightVanCleve

Bikes: 2013 Trek One Series

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
Then why not just use that bag? You can put any bladder in it you want. You don't have to use a Camelbak bladder in a Camelbak bag.

I'm not sure we are understanding each other. The Unbottle comes in it's own pouch and you are right that they are difficult to remove but you never have to remove it from the pouch to fill it. The opening is easily accessible from the front of the bag. If you wanted to use it in a regular Camelbak pack, you could just slide it into place like you would an uninsulated bladder.

A Camelbak bladder in a regular Camelbak backpack doesn't have to be in the pack to fill it. I fill mine outside the pack and then slip them into the insulated sleeve in the pack.

I'm not sure how big your ice cubes are but the opening on a modern Camelbak bladder is about 4" across. The old ones...circa 1995...had really narrow openings but that changed long ago.

To each his own.
That big bag is just too big for my general riding. The Deuter I have is quite small compared to that huge bag. More comfortable for long rides. My commutes are only about 15 to 17 miles, but I need to pack my scrubs, towel, lunch, and a few other things that I don't normally take on a general ride. Just can't get up early enough to get a longer ride in and not going to ride very long after work because I'm usually exhausted.

The problem with having to take them out of the pouch is when I'm thawing the bag before I fill the rest of the way. When I freeze my bladder, before I put it into my backpack, I like to thaw the bladder so the ice isn't sticking to the bladder. I run the bag under a bit of water to thaw out the stuff in the tube also. Not long, just enough to make the ice come off the bag. then I fill the rest of the way with water. I don't want to do this process with the bag in the insulator.

My cubes are not really huge, standard size, but I did have to buy a bag of ice from the Kwik-E-Mart when I thawed my freezer. While I was able to ultimately get the ice in, it took a little bit of crushing it down a bit before plopping it in. The opening isn't flexible. Just a bit more hassle than I want to deal with.

Those old Camelbak openings, yea, I really was turned off by them big time which is why I looked for a better bag then. I've gotten used to top opening and would prefer to just stay with them.